Spam module enabled

Today we upgraded to ejabberd 17.04 and in the same go we enabled a new module to block spam. This module basically blocks messages from users not in your contact list. This means to send spam the sender needs to add you to their contactlist first before sending messages. Hopefully this change will help reduce the spam messages. Please report if you have any issues!

MacOS Authentication Issues

In effort to secure the Jabber Norway server from the level it has been before we have made some steps, and one of those was to disable SSLv3 since it is insecure. In the same go I was reccomended to disable TLSv1 and that was not a good idea for MacOS users with Psi or IM+. These clients have been unable to authenticate over the last few days and I was not able to reproduce the issue as I have no Mac myself.

Today I did some testing and we found the TLS disabling to be the source issue and luckily the service now works fine again. Very sorry for restarting the server multiple times during this testing but at least now our MacOS users are able to log in successfully again. Still there are some few optimizations we will have to do so there might some few restarts to the service happening but I promise this will be over soon!

Very sorry about the issues!

Upgraded Ejabberd to 16.01

A very long overdue upgrade has finally come to Jabber Norway. We have upgraded to version 16.01 of Ejabberd and moved a few big versions up the ladder. This means that we need to rework some old setups and there might be some quirks to work out but right now everything seems to work fine.

Information about the new version is here: https://blog.process-one.net/ejabberd-16-01/

Process One have recently released a version 16.02 as-well, we will upgrade to this version soon but this is not quite ready for our server as a package so we will wait it out instead of building from source.

New Certificate in Operation

We have now upgraded the SSL certificate with a new certificate from Letsencrypt. This certificate will auto-renew every three months. This is now automated and should not again expire like we have had today.

We have reverted to StartCom due to some issues with some clients complaining about the certificate, but we will test again soon. Just now we are back to StartCom for Ejabberd. On the website we still use Letsencrypt.

Cleanup in the User Database

Now we have executed a real cleanup in the user database removing all unused accounts and also accounts that looks like they are not created for personal use. All the accounts that we have identified have now been deleted and removed releasing something like ~24 000 accounts. Accounts left on the server is the actual users that we support 🙂